Two days ago, my Mom called me and told me that my Grandma had gone to a Goodwill by their house and they had a piano there for sale for $39.99! Grandma tested out the keys and the tone and said it was a nice one and wanted to get it for me!! My Mom told her that she didn't think I would have room for one, but I told her I could make room. Our place we're in now has more room than our little duplex in Eugene had! I was so excited and they said they would get it for me!! They know how long I've been wanting my own piano in my living room!!
She told me that my Dad and Uncle Dan would be loading it for me from their house they would be bringing it out on Friday, and then we would have Jason and Celso help him bring it to the house.
So, yesterday, I organized the living room a bit, emptied the bookshelf and moved it closer to the corner about 2 more feet or so and it gave me a good spot for the piano.
This morning, my Mom called me back and said that my Dad would need to bring it today because he starts a new job (YAY!!! He only ended his other job on last Friday!!)and would be going tomorrow to Pendleton to start on Friday.
So, he and Annie came to bring it. Luckily, Uncle Chris left his flat dolly in their garage to use and that helped to put it into the rented U-Haul trailor, and also to bring it out of the trailor and into our house. The three of us were doing ok bringing it, but was having a hard time getting it go up the two steps we have on our front door. So I went next door and asked our neighbor if he could help. I haven't even met them yet, they just move in a few weeks ago. He said that he's seen and met Bella (She's met most of my neighbors somehow!), but I had yet to be introduced. Anyways, he came right over and with no time, they had it in my house and situated at the right spot!!
It's so wonderful to have a piano in my home. I had a beautiful one that my Mom bought for me when Boni was working at the retirement home and it stayed in my garage in our duplex in Eugene, but sadly, with the elements of the cold and heat, and just the age of it, it got into pretty bad shape.8 or so keys lost the ivory on top and it has always needed to be tuned. I played it many times, especially when I served at the pianist for the ward choir and for the primary.
I'm hoping that after it gets tuned up and looking nice enough, I'll be able to teach lessons and bring in a bit of income that way. My piano teacher, Ruth Hall, was an awesome teacher. She stayed home to care for her physicially disabled son, and she always had at least 30 students at a time. She taught so many, that when we would have our recitals, she would have 2 seperate ones so that it wouldn't have been a 4 hour recital!
So far, both Girls are enjoying it, and I'm hoping that I can teach at least one of them soon to play. I'm not sure if Sofy would ever understand how to play, but I think Bella would!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
larabeth, i remember coming over to your house, hearing you play the piano for hours. it's some of my favorite memories at the gibbs house (i still laugh when i think of you playing the "nine to five" theme! ha!). i'm so glad your kids will experience this. congrats on the new addition to the family!
ReplyDeleteA piano! How dreamy! There is nothing like piano music wafting through a home. It's fun to read your blog and keep in touch. Please come on over to ours for a visit! http://blog.bvfaber.org/ Love, Virginia
ReplyDelete